To schedule Hypnobabies courses you must email or call us. We are unable to take online registrations for these classes. Thank you for your understanding. Our current class session fee is $300.
Kelly and Dusti are certified Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis Instructors and Hypno-Doulas. They were trained by the founder and “voice” of Hypnobabies herself, Kerry Tuschhoff and VP Carole Thorpe. www.hypnobabies.com Prior to the 4 day training, they completed a 50 hour hypnosis course, comprehensive reading and reports and interviewed with Kerry. After the training there was homework and a final exam that averages 6 hours to complete.
Hypnosis for Childbirth – What Is It and How Does It Work?
by Kerry Tuschhoff, HCHI, CHt, CI
Mention Labor and Delivery to an expectant mom in her last trimester, and chances are good that her heart will begin to race, her mind floods with concern and in some cases, panic. She knows that the day is coming when a force much bigger than herself will take over and her body will govern itself completely. For some women this is a very fearful event, but for a Hypnobabies mom, it is an eagerly anticipated challenge.
These wise women use hypnosis to eliminate pain and fear from the birthing experience. In the past, the word “hypnosis” conjured up images of stage hypnotists re-creating Elvis, or mesmerizing others into embarrassing situations. Now it is common for hypnosis to be used therapeutically in many areas of medicine, dental and surgical anesthesia and personal therapy sessions. Even so, there are many misconceptions regarding hypnosis that can dissuade those contemplating this powerful tool. Here are a few FACTS:
- All hypnosis is self-hypnosis; the hypnotherapist is only the guide. A person chooses to enter into a hypnotic state, stay in and come out at will.
- Approximately 90-95% of the population can be hypnotized. Willingness, belief and motivation have great influence over hypnotizability.
- During hypnosis you are neither asleep nor unconscious, and will always “come out” whenever you wish. You are always in complete control.
- Stronger-minded and stronger-willed people are easier to hypnotize; not the other way around as is usually assumed.
- You cannot be made to divulge information or do anything against your will while in hypnosis.
- Hypnosis is not Satanic or religion-oriented at all, just a way to direct your inner mind toward the positive for great personal benefit.
- We are all in states of hypnosis many times a day already!
What about Childbirth Hypnosis Classes?
When learning how to use hypnosis for childbirth, you are taught an understanding of how the uterine muscles will work efficiently together, as they were designed to do, when the body is completely relaxed. The depth of relaxation necessary can easily be achieved with hypnosis so you learn these skills in class, and practice them at home every day until your baby arrives. Important: Comfort in childbirth depends on much more than deep relaxation, so you are also taught the most in-depth hypnotic anesthesia techniques that exist. These make a huge difference in creating your truly comfortable birthing experience, and are easily learned and practiced.
Your Birth Partner can have a very integral role in the preparation process: listening to the CDs, reading the handouts and guiding the Hypno-mother into deep relaxation with hypnosis scripts. They are also an invaluable part of the labor and birth process as they help you to focus and concentrate, as well as supporting you physically. Please note: Mothers without partners can easily learn, practice and use Hypnobabies on their own. All aspects of Labor and Birth are covered in Hypnobabies classes, as well as information on Nutrition, Exercise, Avoiding Complications and Back Labor, Fear Clearing Sessions, Birth Plans, Consumer Issues and Postpartum as well as much more.
Fear and Expectation
In other cultures, childbirth is regarded as a natural, normal event in a woman’s life. The birthing women are given support from other women, and children are often present to witness the event. In this way, birth is celebrated and honored. Young girls then grow up with the belief system that birth is a positive event and their expectations of childbirth reflect this attitude. As a result, their births are similar to their predecessors; without pain and fear. They have a positive expectation of childbirth. In our culture, it is very much the opposite. For many generations we have been told that delivering a baby will be untold hours of painfully agonizing work, to be faced with fear and trepidation. We have heard stories from well-meaning friends and family that send shivers up our spines, and so the legacy continues. We experience pain in childbirth, in part because we very much expect to!
In Hypnobabies classes, you are taught to surround yourself with only positive people and messages, to create a positive view of childbirth and the expectation that your birthing with be a beautiful, peaceful experience. Hypnobabies’ Fear Clearing Sessions are integral to this process, as they allow you to address fears, work through possible solutions and then release them. Fear in labor can create tension, which creates pain, then more fear, and the cycle continues. Fear and anxiety can also create adrenaline production in the body, causing the labor to become dysfunctional, a common reason for Cesarean Section surgery. Freedom from fear can make a significant difference in the birthing experience.
By learning and practicing hypnosis, you are able to enter into self-hypnosis instantly, and create your own natural anesthesia whenever and wherever you need it. This is important as any drugs taken by a laboring woman can be dangerous for her, and especially her baby. Using Hypnobabies, you are in control over your body and emotions, and are an active participant in your birth process. You are always aware of everything around you, and as labor progresses, you’ll go deeper inside yourself, trusting in your body’s natural ability to give birth with ease and comfort. Your mind is trained and programmed to give you exactly what you need as you give birth to your baby.
Why choose a natural, easier birth using Hypnobabies? The benefits are many:
- Most of our moms use fewer drugs or no drugs, which means less risk of side effects for you and your baby, due to elimination of the Fear/Tension/Pain Syndrome, and using post-hypnotic suggestions.
- Most Hypno-mothers have shorter labors since there is less resistance of the birthing muscles when pain and fear are minimized or eliminated.
- Hypno-Moms generally have much more energy throughout first and second stage, due to your total relaxation throughout the birthing process.
- The birthing environment is much more calm and peaceful when you, the natural childbirth mother are comfortable, relaxed and confident.
- Breech and posterior babies can be turned using hypnosis.
- Blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature can be lowered and nausea, back and hip pain eliminated with hypnosis during pregnancy and labor.
- There are fewer interventions for failure to progress and therefore fewer complications during labor for our mothers and babies.
- The deep relaxation in Hypnobabies sessions has also helped many a nervous birth partner to enjoy their partner’s pregnancy and childbirth, and the skills that the Hypno-couple learns for relaxation and hypnosis will benefit them for the rest of their lives.
- As a Hypno-Mom, you are easily “deprogrammed” from the usual negativity of childbirth stories and scenarios you may have heard or read, by way of training in Hypnobabies classes and audio CDs which have positive messages and hypnotic suggestions. This automatically allows you to have a much more positive attitude and confidence in birthing. It is truly a gift that you are giving yourself, an amazingly easy way to enjoy your pregnancy more and actually look forward to your baby’s birth!
One Hypnobabies mom shares with us:
One of the best parts about Hypnobabies during my pregnancy was how easily I was able to fall asleep either while listening to my CDs or using the relaxation techniques I learned in the program. I listened to Hypnobabies when I had pre-birth pressure waves (aka “false labor”) and was able to ignore it and get the sleep I needed to be well-rested when my true birthing time started. In my previous birth, I had problems with being kept up by pre-birth waves, and it was one big factor in why I ended up with a birth very different from what I had planned because of it, so I am very grateful that Hypnobabies helped me this way for my second birth. I still sometimes use the techniques to help me relax and fall asleep now.